DevOps for iOS Enterprise App Development
The first time I had to support iOS development I was really excited. I wanted to develop mobile apps since the Palm Pilot. I bought an O’Riley book and never did anything. I just didn’t have the time. I thought to myself, “Self, you can do it. Harness this time and become a master of iOS.”
After digging into the process of building an iOS app and distributing it through Apple’s App Store I was ready to throw my hands in the air like I just don’t care, only not in a party kinda way. The process is frustrating. The documenation to manage the process isn’t clear, or at least not clear in a way that I understand.
For the past two companies I worked for developed iOS Apps. I automated the builds and forgot about them until a certificate expired. The process to safely fix the issue took way longer than it should have. The fruits of my pain is tada this page.
May you suffer less than I have…
Setup accounts and the environment
- Roles and who should have the what roles
- Apple Account Setup
- Setup a Development Team
- Configure Certificates and Provisioning Profiles
- Build for Distribution outside the App store
- Setup build server/angent
Problems and Solutions
- What happens when a Distribution Certificate Expires?
- What happens with the Developer Certificate Expires?
- What happends when a Provisioning Profile Exires?
- What happens when we grow the team and need to add new developers?
- What happens when we shrink the team or move people around?
- What happens when we get new devices to test with?
- WTF? I have a bunch of red “x” in my keychain?